Monday, January 3, 2011

Fresh Start: Parenting

Photobucket


Going back to the Schoolhouse after a restful winter break provides ample opportunity for the competitive parent in me to resurface.  Remembering that all children are different, and that raising them is not a competition, is so important (and sometimes difficult) for me.


Hopefully the moms you interact with are slightly more supportive than these two!

While I think it is wonderful to want the best for your child, worrying two much about how they look, act, behave, or dress in relation to other children can be an issue.  

Rethinking My Competitive Parenting Pitfalls

1.  I must remember that there is no such thing as the Daycare Fashion Runway, and the Gymboree Fashion Police aren't coming to Georgia this year.  Instead of obsessing about his outfit, I could organize his closet to make our daily routine smoother.

I am considering using "days of the week" tags, and selecting all of his outfits in advance.  Has anyone met with success this way?

2.  Worrying about whether or not Mr. Cheeks will start the wrestling ring in the toddler classroom today isn't going to keep it from happening.  He is a boy.  I should relax.

We did get several stuffed animals for him, though, and are practicing hugging and "gentle hands" regularly.  I am also in search of good discipline resources....


3.  Lastly, the Milestone Mess.  There are milestones for everything from walking to pooping, and moms LOVE to talk about them.  While it is incredibly important to monitor your child's growth and development, other children's milestones have no relation to Mr. Cheeks.

We are blessed to have a healthy little boy, and that is where my focus should be.  

Who knows what the future holds for this little guy!

The "In and Out Burger" hat is pretty flattering!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At January 3, 2011 at 6:32 AM , Blogger Elizabeth Lyng said...

Haha - I saw that clip on FB some time ago and it cracked me up :)
You can find cute printable tags on Etsy - or you can bust out that sewing machine and make some like these
http://www.thecreativemaven.net/2010/03/day-of-week-hanger-tags.html

 
At January 3, 2011 at 7:24 AM , Blogger ChicSassyMom said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At January 3, 2011 at 7:26 AM , Blogger ChicSassyMom said...

I'm a super competitive mom too! :-)...sometimes I'm even Obsessive Compulsive, Paranoid, and a Stage mom all at the same time! I'm trying to regulate in though! Oh well! :-)

Your son is so adorable! I'm sure he'll do just fine! :-)

 
At January 3, 2011 at 4:09 PM , Blogger Mrs. Werginz said...

Don't stress...I have never thought of you as a competitive mom so you are doing something right! Mr. Cheeks is a fabulous little boy and progressing as he should! :)

 
At January 4, 2011 at 2:11 PM , Blogger Sharla said...

funny video!

 

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment, helping make Articles From Addington an interactive forum for moms and bloggers. Thanks for taking the time to read my "articles"!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home