Monday, August 9, 2010

Slow Down Life!

I don't know what happened.  Yesterday I was enduring hours of labor and crying tears of joy as I met my baby, and today he ran away from me!  Nobody told me that raising a little boy would go by at lightening speed, and I can't stop searching for the pause button.

I can remember introducing Mr. Cheeks to everyone that I could, and being in awe of him.  Studying his every feature, listening to his every breath, and finding love that I never knew was possible.

Not knowing that these cuddles, gazes back and forth, tiny tiny clothes, and miniature fingers and toes would be gone in the blink of an eye.



Lately, motherhood has brought about an interesting challenge.  How do you take in each and every little moment and appreciate them, while life is swirling around you?  Child development is a focus from day one:

Are we getting enough tummy time?  














Can Mr. Cheeks sit up yet?








Oh, surely he must be crawling by now!






What???  He's walking!  Oh, it seems like yesterday we were in the hospital!







I feel truly blessed to have a healthy child that is developing normally, but with each of these transitions, with each of these "milestones" comes a bittersweet moment.  Wow, I say to myself!  The growth of a child is an amazing miracle, but in a quiet moment, I pause.  Sometimes I become secretly a little sad that these moments have passed.  That first smile, the first step, the first words, although engrained in my memory, can't last forever.  I look at my son quite often lately, and just like the day I had him, I think, "I can't believe you're mine!".  I even said to him the other day, "Who are you?  You are WAY too big to be my son!".

Lately, for the first time since having Mr. Cheeks, I now get the urge to have another child.  Although having another baby would be an incredible blessing to our family, I know that I won't be able to keep having children forever.  Eventually, I will have to face the fact that they grow up.

I know what people mean now when they say, "Enjoy every moment.  Before you know it they will be graduating from high school!".

We all seek to find a purpose to our days, and most of us have several.  My latest lesson as a new mom is to be truly present and experience each moment with my son.  I think it is alright to feel bittersweet, but in the end each milestone should be a celebration, and the beginning of the next chapter.

This post is part of Steady Mom's 30 Minute Blog Challenge.



Labels:

20 Comments:

At August 10, 2010 at 6:15 AM , Blogger Asashia said...

I found that I have to be purposeful with the time I spend with Little Bit. I too miss many moments in his life because I work. And to couple work with having a family, I can easily get caught up in to-do's. But that would mean more quality time missed. So I have to make a point to play with him and see the world from his eyes. Cause like you said, pretty soon, he'll be in college and won't want me near him!

 
At August 10, 2010 at 6:20 AM , Blogger Katie said...

Well said, Asashia! Between work and family responsibilities, it is very easy to just casually play with your child, or even have them play near you while you continue the daily grind. I am just realizing the importance of being "purposeful" like you said, and it is SO rewarding. (Even in the house is a little more dusty than it used to be!)

 
At August 10, 2010 at 7:09 AM , Blogger Elizabeth Lyng said...

Great series of photos - it does seem like just yesterday I found out you were pregnant. Now you're thinking about number 2!

 
At August 10, 2010 at 7:13 AM , Blogger Elizabeth Lyng said...

This reminds me of a post I read years ago on Simple Mom - I just found it; great insight and ideas in the comments section too, especially for when Mr. Cheeks gets older.

http://simplemom.net/how-do-you-spend-quality-time-with-your-kids/

 
At August 10, 2010 at 9:27 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I found your blog on #31DBBB. Love the pictures of your little man! He's adorable! Your blog looks great and the page update you did!

If you have time come check me out @ http://itsmylifeandmyjourney.blogspot.com

Have a great week!
Mrs. O

 
At August 10, 2010 at 9:29 AM , Anonymous Martianne said...

Thank you for the reminder to be present. Too often lately, I miss much of my children's daily treasured moments as I try to deal with decluttering the "treasures" we stored up unnecessarily, cleaning, etc. I need to refocus!

 
At August 10, 2010 at 3:05 PM , Blogger TheHouseWifeRookie said...

You were able to write EXACTLY how I've been feeling! I can't get enough of my boy, and the thought that he will never, EVER be 7 days old again, or 8 days old again makes me sad, but I'm soaking up every ounce possible! and I now know I HAVE to have more babies!

 
At August 10, 2010 at 4:02 PM , Blogger Emily - faliLV said...

I know the feeling well. Your little man is adorable. I am a new follower from MamasNestwork
Emily
www.familyandlifeinlv.com

 
At August 10, 2010 at 8:28 PM , Blogger Gretchen said...

You are so right... the time just flies by! And, I am a little bit addicted to babies... probably why I don't mind having 5 kids. But don't worry - I'm no Michelle Duggar! LOL Your son is just precious!!!

 
At August 10, 2010 at 8:41 PM , Blogger Mrs. Werginz said...

This is a great post!! I love the pictures from all of Mr. Cheeks milestones thus far in life. Wait to try for number 2 until next Fall and we can be preggo together!!

 
At August 10, 2010 at 9:14 PM , Blogger Mama Hen said...

This is something I struggle with all the time. I wish that the time did not fly like it does. i feel like my daughter was just a little baby a few months ago. She is growing and I just want to stop time for a while and simply enjoy. Have a great night!

Mama Hen

 
At August 11, 2010 at 8:33 AM , Blogger Annette said...

Oh, I agree with you so much on this one. My little Lew is turning two today...it's a beautiful moment and one of sadness at the same time. I look at his clothes and realize how much bigger he's getting. The other day I realized how large even his feet have gotten. Oh, those baby days...now they are toddler days...and well, I don't even want to think about what's next (gulp...school!)

 
At August 11, 2010 at 9:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a little heartbreaking to think back about when my kids were babies. They are so mobile and articulate and opinionated compared to when they were infants. Well, I suppose they were still opinionated when they were babies.

 
At August 12, 2010 at 1:04 PM , Blogger Sonia Valdez said...

He is a cute little guy, and will be a cute big guy. Time does fly so I'm glad that you have taken the time to enjoy the little things as much as you can.

 
At August 12, 2010 at 4:47 PM , Blogger Heligirl said...

What a handsome little dude. And I completely empathize. I can't believe my little girl will be three next month. Where did the time go? I remember holding and nursing her in the middle of the night her first week home scared to death of her growing up too quick and me not having the time to savor it. Kids definitely put life in fast forward. I get all misty eyed just thinking about it.

 
At August 12, 2010 at 11:56 PM , Blogger Ashley O. said...

Seriously! Time goes by waayyy too fast!!

 
At August 13, 2010 at 4:33 PM , Anonymous Unplanned Cooking said...

Our youngest is closing in on two, and I can't believe I don't have a baby anymore! She looks so long now... I love watching her + our boys grow, but also such sadness comes with it sometimes.

 
At August 13, 2010 at 6:47 PM , Blogger se7en said...

Great 30 minute post... It feels like a moment ago my twelve year old was born!!! And in another blink he will be twenty four... where that leaves me is pretty shocking!!! Considering I still feel about eighteen!!!

 
At August 13, 2010 at 9:02 PM , Blogger Alana, Author of Domestically Challenged said...

What a cutie! Mine are getting so big - my youngest is in 2nd grade. 2nd!! I still stand by the fact that I am not old enough for my kids to be that old! LOL

 
At August 16, 2010 at 12:42 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I soo agree... my 20 month is my youngest seemed like just yesterday when he was a tiny tot. I almost feel saddened cause he seems to be growing so fast he wants to catch up with his older brothers. Enjoy each minute..... :) Great blog following via mbc stop by and visit me at healthy living & a balanced you www.aliciahunter.net

 

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment, helping make Articles From Addington an interactive forum for moms and bloggers. Thanks for taking the time to read my "articles"!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home