Monday, August 2, 2010

One Year Old vs. Lifejacket Volume 1


I never realized the realm of emotions that a one-year-old child is capable of.  I guess I ran out of time to read the baby books at about the time Mr. Cheeks rolled over (go figure!).  

So, Mr. Cheeks' ability to get really mad and throw a tantrum hasn't surprised me that much.  I mean, he's a kid.  That's what kids in shopping malls, restaurants, doctor's offices, and the schoolhouse do.  But what really gets me, I mean really tickles me, is when he gets mad, but knows he just has to comply.

Case and point....


My in-laws were visiting this weekend, and we decided to escape the dreadful Southern heat by heading to the lake and taking a cruise on our boat.  This was a wonderful way to spend the day together, and enjoy some "cherished" family time.  

It turns out that there is this unfortunate law, and children (no matter how emotional or strong willed), have to wear a life jacket.

Mr. Cheeks....not a fan.  But seeing Grandma and Grandpa, he politely complied.



Feeling somewhat sorry for the little guy, and thankful that he was indulging us in this "cherished" moment, I gave the kid a pretzel.




Barely managing to get that precious pretzel to his mouth, since he somewhat resembled the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, he munched, but was not so satisfied.




What really impressed me though, is that despite how uncomfortable, unhappy, hot, sweaty, hungry, thirsty, and mad he was, he held it together.  For the good of the family.  For the good of the cherished moment.  Mr. Cheeks never cried, and when he finally got to swim, he splashed with joy:




Like I said earlier, Children Inspire Me.

10 Comments:

At August 2, 2010 at 9:35 AM , Blogger Crystal S. said...

Hey Katie! I just linked over to your blog from Elizabeth's. You two are both gifted, and I look forward to following you! Mr. Cheeks is just so cute! Can't wait to see him again soon.

 
At August 2, 2010 at 11:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohmigosh, I just adore his lifejacket pictures! Those are hysterical and adorable all at the same time!!

 
At August 2, 2010 at 2:38 PM , Blogger Melanie Payne said...

OH my gosh...LOL The life jacket stories. WE have them as well. I have 4 kids & have used a different jacket on all of them. They failed, each & every one as one gave them a wedgy, the others made them look like turtles, or even worse made it so that walked like a duck..waddle butts. lol Your pics are so cute :)
Letting you know I gave you a blog award over at
http://mburbage.blogspot.com/
~Melanie

 
At August 2, 2010 at 8:03 PM , Blogger Mama Hen said...

These pictures are so cute! Sure, little ones have a huge range of emotions. I think we all do, but they get away with actually displaying them and as adults we have to keep quiet. Ha! Thank you for joining Mama's Little Nestwork! I will add your blog now. Come and visit throughout the week and comment to show support for featured bloggers. I will be choosing my features from the bloggers who comment and show the most support! Add your button the the In the Nest page. Have a great night!

Mama Hen

 
At August 2, 2010 at 8:04 PM , Blogger Mama Hen said...

P.S. thank you for doing Cherished Moments Monday! I will be back to routine next week! :)

 
At August 2, 2010 at 8:50 PM , Blogger Ashley O. said...

Aww, what an adorable little guy!! I love his expression in the 3rd picture!!

Thank you for the sweet comment!! :)

 
At August 2, 2010 at 9:20 PM , Anonymous Stacy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

I love those lifejacket pictures, those are precious!

 
At August 2, 2010 at 9:33 PM , Blogger JIll said...

Great pictures. We have boats also and the life jackets are not what my kids love. But what can we do. Stopping by from Mama's little nestwork. I am your newest follower.

http://mastersandamom.blogspot.com/

 
At August 3, 2010 at 2:02 AM , Anonymous Deb Chitwood @ Living Montessori Now said...

The photos are adorable! It’s sweet how your son tried so hard to make his grandparents happy. I think he succeeded!

 
At August 4, 2010 at 3:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those photos are so sweet. I just had to smile at his sullen, little pink face - just darling.

 

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment, helping make Articles From Addington an interactive forum for moms and bloggers. Thanks for taking the time to read my "articles"!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home