Thursday, January 6, 2011

One Tiny Word

Wordle: Complete

Laying in bed with Hubby last night, holding my book, and enjoying the end of a very busy day, I asked him a question.  

If you could choose one word that would be my focus for the entire year, what would it be?

I quickly followed with a disclaimer: I might not choose your word, and it cannot be sex.  We both laughed, and without much hesitation he replied, complete.  

The question of one tiny word that would guide my thoughts and my actions (give me direction) in 2011 has been on my mind for several days.  I kept coming back to the word action.  Something wasn't right about action, though.  I felt like it was too demanding, too one-sided, and would continue to perpetuate the perfectionist tendencies that I already struggle with.  I can hear my inner thoughts now: "And Action.  Get to work.  Do, do, do.  Stop being lazy.  Work ahead.  Work smarter not harder."  Ughhh. Action. Wasn't. It.

Complete.

Now this word was beginning to feel warm and fuzzy inside.  It felt as though it could take on numerous meanings throughout the year.  How does it feel to be complete?  Did I complete the goals I set out for myself?  

It is open ended.

I didn't want to box myself in to a word that I could fully predict.  I want my word and my actions to have unrealized potential.  The blessings and hardships of 2011 have yet to unfold, and I need a word with some space to grow and change.  

So, there it is.  My one word resolution.  

Complete.

Have you thought about choosing one little word to focus your thoughts and actions for this year?


Mama's Losin' It

Please don't forget that if your word or resolutions have anything to do with organization, budgeting, list-making, or more thorough housekeeping then my first giveaway is for you.  Click here to read about Clean Mama and her fantastic Etsy Shop!

Labels:

11 Comments:

At January 6, 2011 at 9:06 AM , Anonymous Jamie said...

Great word.

My word this year is Do. I spend so much time planning. Or procrastinating. Or putting off. I need to DO.

 
At January 6, 2011 at 9:13 AM , Blogger Jen said...

I think that is a GREAT word for this coming year. In fact, its perfect. :)

Stopped over from Mama Kat's.

 
At January 6, 2011 at 9:46 AM , Blogger Biz said...

Good Morning!
I had to laugh at the disclaimer you gave your hubby, because that is something I'd say to my husband!
I've been pondering my word for about a week now and I think I have settled on "become".
I'm hoping to blog about it on Saturday ;)
Biz
http://busybizblogs.blogspot.com/

 
At January 6, 2011 at 11:49 AM , Anonymous Teresa said...

I think COMPLETE makes perfect sense. My word is DOING. I need to take action this year.

 
At January 6, 2011 at 12:09 PM , Anonymous Angie/Seven Clown Circus said...

What a wonderful word for the year. Here's to a year filled with joy!

 
At January 6, 2011 at 4:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My word this year is happiness - 2010 was not a good year, and I need this one to be better - and also to learn to be content with what I have. :)

 
At January 6, 2011 at 5:08 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

You're right, "Complete" does sound warm and fuzzy. I like it. Stopping by from the writer's workshop!

 
At January 6, 2011 at 6:10 PM , Blogger Sonia Valdez said...

That is a really good word - I've read more and more about One word resolutions in a couple of blog's and really like the idea.

 
At January 7, 2011 at 5:43 PM , Blogger Biz said...

You blog rocks and because of that I am passing along an award to you! Stop by my blog and check it out.

 
At January 8, 2011 at 1:20 PM , Blogger Encore Bride said...

I'm getting married in a week, I've been divorced for 9 years, the only word I can think of is "settle" as in I would like to settle nicely into my new life.

 
At January 9, 2011 at 4:25 PM , Blogger Simply Created by Cole said...

I love your word and how it came to be. Well said!! I do have a word for this year. Mine is "hope," which I'm sharing later this week. Last year it was "shine." I've never had a "word," before these last two years, but it's neat how they have found me.

Have a great Sunday!! Wishing you the best w/ your students. After Christmas can be a long haul....said from experience. I teach 4th!

Blessings,
Cole

 

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment, helping make Articles From Addington an interactive forum for moms and bloggers. Thanks for taking the time to read my "articles"!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home