Thursday, February 10, 2011

You Know You're a Rookie Mom When....

The garage door lowers to the ground and we enter the house after an eventful day.  Greeted by our faithful mutt, Mr. Cheeks and I begin the evening routine.  A half-eaten dinner and strewn toys adorn our first floor.  Ignoring the mess, we head upstairs for the bedtime rituals.  I'd already decided against a bath tonight - not sure if that makes me a negligent mommy, but I just didn't have the energy to say "boat" five hundred times this evening.  





And it begins.  The silly game of "you can't get me to that changing table - I'm the gingerbread man".  Luckily, our lovely home doesn't include a very large nursery and Mr. Cheeks is dead in the water within seconds.  However, he ends up on the changing table MAD.  Not really sure why - I guess because his ninja-esque moves failed him.  Regardless, the retaliation comes in the form of yanking on my dainty gold earing with all his might.  Ouch.  After releasing his Doberman-like grip, he goes for my hair, and I was frankly in disbelief.  No, not the first agressive behavior (hoping it pays off in a football scholarship), but it still suprises me. 

This is where you think to yourself, why don't you come with an instruction manual?  Now What?  I'm mad, you're mad, you hurt me, and something must be done.  I'll spare you the details, but it ended up with him crying himself to sleep.  

I just hate that after being away from the little guy all day during work, I have to use my precious few hours teaching him a lesson and hearing his wails echo through our walls.  Alone.  Hubby is at some Hampton Inn, where I'm sure they know him and his Hilton Honors Card by name.  I jump in a hot shower, hoping to wash the guilt away and telling myself I am doing the right thing.  Turning off the water, reaching for the towel, there are still tears being shed that I know I can't go in and wipe away.

I find the strength to see it through.  The house is quiet now, and Mr. Cheeks has found sleep.  My only comfort is that I know I did the right thing.  Even if the timing is unfortunate for me, discipline needs to happen.  No, it's not easy, but did anyone ever tell you it would be?  They may have handed you a pretty blanket or a slew of adorable Carter's outfits.  I don't ever remember anyone looking at me and saying, "Piece of Cake.  You got this.".  

Tomorrow, we will open the blinds before 7 am as we always do, and practice saying, "Hello World!"  We may even say hello to the trees, the cars, the lights - anything that catches that toddler eye.  We'll have a clean slate, and maybe even be closer to learning to have "gentle hands."  

As a new mom, has discipline been one of your biggest struggles?


Mama's Losin' It

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At February 10, 2011 at 7:33 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

Oh discipline is not fun at all, I am not as good with follow through as you are. Stopping my from Mama Kat's.

 
At February 10, 2011 at 7:40 AM , Blogger Ginny Marie said...

Discipline is one of the hardest things about being a parent! But it all pays off the in the long run. (or so I hear!)

 
At February 10, 2011 at 8:25 AM , Blogger Katie said...

Ginny,

Hope it does pay off. I think of all of my friends with such well behaved children, and hope that Mr. Cheeks will turn out just as nice because of what I am doing now!

 
At February 10, 2011 at 9:17 AM , Blogger Jenni said...

Good post! I will be a new mom in June, so I can't say too much about it right now. lol

 
At February 10, 2011 at 12:00 PM , Blogger Mrs. Werginz said...

This was great. I can't imagine it being easy to be a mom and you are a great one. I am sorry you had a rough night. You can ALWAYS call me at times like that and just let it out and talk if you want!

 
At February 10, 2011 at 12:43 PM , Blogger Jen said...

This was a beautiful post. I have been in this spot so many times.

And it ever gets easier.

But stay strong because, yes disciple HAS to happen.

Over from Mama Kat's

 
At February 10, 2011 at 3:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post.. Not a mom (yet, I hope!), but I can imagine that discipline is really hard, especially when they are little. But, it's for the best, and I'm sure you will raise a wonderful little boy, who will turn into an amazing man!

 
At February 10, 2011 at 11:16 PM , Blogger Carrie said...

Ha! 4 and a half years in and discipline is STILL a huge issue. When my girls were babies there was no discipline. There was no point since they wouldn't get it anyway.

You just have to get through your day as best you can. Sometimes that will mean tears...for both of you.

Visiting from Mama Kat's

 
At February 11, 2011 at 6:38 AM , Blogger Katie said...

Thank you everyone - Moms and supportive bloggers without kids - for your kind and encouraging comments! That is why I love this community. It seems that no matter what you write about, someone has been there, and can at least remind you that you are not alone.

 
At February 11, 2011 at 3:41 PM , Blogger Susanna said...

Hang in there! What is really unfortunate is that the time of day that you pick him up is "the witching hour," as a friend calls it--his most tired, crankiest, least cooperative time of day. Stephen often feels that all he gets to do is be "the hammer" in the evenings, because the girls need so much discipline that time of day! But you are right--it will pay off in the end. "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." -Hebrews 12:11

 

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment, helping make Articles From Addington an interactive forum for moms and bloggers. Thanks for taking the time to read my "articles"!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home