Thursday, January 27, 2011

Taking a Look Inside



Blink.  It's that split second that we have to react to a moment.  We have thousands of interactions with people over the course of a week, depending on what we do, maybe more.  When people walk away from us, ponder the moment they just had, how do they feel?  


“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel”. -Maya Angelou


Do you ever feel that even though you have the best intentions, the most positive attitude, that your balloon can be popped in a matter of seconds, leaving you to react or say something you didn't mean?


You have heard that it was said, "You shall love your neighbor, and hate your enemy."  But I say to you, love your enemies. ---Matthew 5:43-44


How do we take those moments that we have with other people and make them feel respected and loved when they walk away?  Even moments when a  student that has just misbehaved, a friend  just hurt your feelings, when you find out that exciting plans just fell through, or your own child disappoints you.  

Action.  Reaction.  Space.

The words that we choose to let escape from our mouths are so precious, and in a fleeting moment they are gone into the air, leaving an impression on those who heard them.  It's so easy to experience an action and let our words be those of reaction.  Something I am working on (sometimes successfully and sometimes not) is allowing a brief moment of space to happen in my interactions with other people.  Space where I can choose my words, collect my thoughts, take a deep breath.  Space where I can ensure that when the moment is over, that the other person or people leave feeling respected.  

Today as I am writing, I hear Mr. Cheeks starting to babble in his crib.  I think of the middle school children that I will teach today.  I think of Hubby returning from a business trip excited to be reunited with his wife and son after a long week of work.  Today I will make it my purpose to extend love and respect to those I come in contact with.  Today, in that brief second of space, I will make sure that my words, my precious words, are the right words.  



Mama's Losin' It

Labels:

7 Comments:

At January 27, 2011 at 8:23 AM , Blogger TheHouseWifeRookie said...

Thank you for this reminder! So many times we are only concerned with how we feel, and react based on our own feelings without regard for the other. I wanted to share this verse that I think applies, and also serves as a great reminder of "thinking before speaking":
Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear. Ephesians 4:29
Have a great day at The Schoolhouse

 
At January 27, 2011 at 8:25 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

As a parent of a middle schooler, first of all my hat's off to you. My kid has great teachers, and I always appreciate those who demonstrate respect and instill it in the kids.

Last night, I was at McDonald's (reminder to self - don't let the kid pick the venue next time) and the staff were all off task - they were joking around, letting a line build, it was not a good situation. I was somewhat annoyed and was contemplating tweeting my annoyance. BUT the one ontask person who helped us was so nice, so kind to my son who was taking FOREVER to explain what he wanted as the line grew, who was compassionate when she had to explain that the McFlurry ice cream was too soft so he needed to pick another option. She alone prevented me from tweeting nastiness and frustration to cyberland.

Great post!!

 
At January 27, 2011 at 8:27 AM , Blogger Biz said...

I talked about this verse here:
http://busybizblogs.blogspot.com/2011/01/bible-verse-friday-8.html
Thanks for a friendly reminder, I needed that!
Biz

 
At January 27, 2011 at 10:57 AM , Anonymous Jen said...

This was a beautiful post. Words can hurt so much more than we know or intend.

Stopped by from Mama Kat's :)

 
At January 27, 2011 at 11:06 AM , Anonymous Emily said...

Lovely written post and so true.

 
At January 27, 2011 at 11:48 AM , Blogger Mrs. Werginz said...

Nice reminder! It is also hard when you say something and it becomes misinterprted! I will try to take a second to think too!

 
At January 27, 2011 at 9:53 PM , Blogger Ruth said...

this was a thought provoking inspiring post. Thank you Katie!!

Have a good night!!

 

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment, helping make Articles From Addington an interactive forum for moms and bloggers. Thanks for taking the time to read my "articles"!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home