Friday, February 11, 2011

The Age Gap



I could never have imagined marrying someone seven years older than me.  I mean, do the math - when he got his drivers license I was 9.  While he was drinking a beer at an Alabama football game, I was 11.  

The dating world welcomed me, but tossed me around like a ship lost at sea.  From musicians to teachers, I always though I had found "the one", but remained the bridesmaid.  

Tired of losing myself in relationship after relationship, I took a summer and went to upstate New York to study music.  Freedom, lakes, and cold weather in July wiped my slate clean and helped me remember how I liked my eggs.  

Welcomed back to the Peach State and all of the "Hi Y'alls" that I missed, I wasn't even thinking about dating.  I was independent now and didn't need a boyfriend.  

Then, among magnolias, beer tents, and funnel cake I met my husband.  Enjoying the jam bands that Atlanta summer festivals are known for, we found ourselves yelling over the melody longing to get to know each other.  Catching a glimpse and accidentally locking eyes, we both felt something.

Pages of the calendar flew by, and I found myself spending a day on the local lake basking in the sun once again.  A special dinner was promised that evening and anticipation filled the air.  

Those same magnolias set the stage for a bottle of champagne, but still no promise for the future.  Dinner was in a hotel high above the bustling streets of Atlanta complete with silver platters and a wait staff that made me feel like a Princess.  

Laughter, drinks, and amazing food bled into dessert.  My plate arrived and the next thing I knew, he was on his knee.  

Then, the whole world shifted.  


This post was written for The Red Dress Club's Red Writing Hood challenge. The post must begin with "I could never have imagined" and end with "Then the whole world shifted". It must be no more than 600 words. I welcome constructive criticism from anyone who kindly takes the time to read my work. 

Labels:

12 Comments:

At February 11, 2011 at 7:51 AM , Blogger TheHouseWifeRookie said...

It's always when you find true contentment that you find what you were looking for, I believe that wholeheartedly!

 
At February 11, 2011 at 7:59 AM , Blogger Ginny Marie said...

I love those meaningful phrases you wrote: "I remembered how I like my eggs." and "Pages of the calendar flew by." Love comes when you least expect it!

 
At February 11, 2011 at 10:40 AM , Blogger Losing Brownies said...

My husband is 8 years older than me, Its funny to think of him doing such adult things when I was still a tween!

 
At February 11, 2011 at 12:48 PM , Blogger Melisa S. said...

I loved the imagery in this! It's amazing how love finds you and doesn't care about age.

 
At February 11, 2011 at 2:24 PM , Blogger Elizabeth Lyng said...

This little stroll down memory lane totally made me smile :) Have a great weekend!

 
At February 11, 2011 at 4:41 PM , Blogger Biz said...

What a beautiful story!
that line about the eggs...that's from a Julia Roberts movie right?
Have a Blessed Weekend!
Biz

 
At February 11, 2011 at 10:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post. I love a good love story and this was one. :)

(Visiting from TRDC.)

 
At February 12, 2011 at 12:38 AM , Blogger Cheryl said...

Very, very sweet!! It's amazing how the age gap shrinks as we age..

 
At February 12, 2011 at 9:29 PM , Blogger Jill said...

Aww. I loved this! Great job. I really like the happy 'world shifts.' Visiting from TRDC.

 
At February 14, 2011 at 4:25 PM , Blogger Not Just Another Jennifer said...

I love your writing style! Great simile about dating. The contrast between NY and GA, considering what YOU want. I really like how you incorporate the font and text formatting, too. Great job with the prompt!

 
At February 15, 2011 at 11:57 PM , Blogger mark.-Makeup,Beauty,Fun said...

Following from MBC! Would love a follow back: http://meetmarkmakeup.blogspot.com/

 
At February 16, 2011 at 11:44 PM , Blogger Mama Hen said...

You can't decide who you will love. It just happens. :) My husband is twelve years older than me. I hope you are doing great my friend! Have a good night!

Mama Hen

 

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment, helping make Articles From Addington an interactive forum for moms and bloggers. Thanks for taking the time to read my "articles"!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home