Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Last Time My Heart Melted Was Because....


Monday night, enveloped in a fresh blanket of snow, Hubby and I watched the BCS National Championship Football Game.  The first half of a very exciting football game ended, and I was only half listening to the analysis by the experts.  Then, something made me stop and listen.  

There was a very moving photo montage about Tostitos (the sponsor of the game) bringing football players to Iraq, and brightening the day of the troops stationed there.  The brave troops sent pre-recorded messages to their families at home.  The families were then honored on the field for the sacrifices they make daily on behalf of our country.  Then, out of nowhere, a banner was pulled back, and out rushed all of the Army and Navy Servicemen that were just featured.  THEY CAME HOME!

The looks of shock, awe, amazement, and sheer joy on the faces of those family members brought me to tears.  

The military Men and Women of our country and all of their families are truly amazing to me.  Babies born to a Daddy thousands of miles away, Husbands and Wives separated for indefinite amounts of time, 
children being raised by a single parent.....and I don't even know the half of it.

Just today I was talking to my mother (a former Coast Guard wife) about how she ever managed to be snow-bound with my sister and I for months at a time in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan, while my Dad was at sea.  After three snow days here in Atlanta, I am out of patience and out of wine!  This is just the way life is for military families.

I am so thankful that the media takes moments like those to remind us of all of the amazing military families across the world.  My heart just melted as those several were reunited, and I continue to pray for the safety of those who haven't returned home yet.

Mama's Losin' It
      

6 Comments:

At January 13, 2011 at 8:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so teared up as well! It was such a beautiful moment! Seeing that little girl running at her dad has me getting teary again!

 
At January 13, 2011 at 9:05 AM , Blogger Biz said...

Thanks for sharing. I grew up a military brat and never thought I would marry a military man. Bud commissions into the Air Force in May and I am so excited.
I wrote about some of the questions a military wife faces here http://busybizblogs.blogspot.com/2010/09/brings-back-memories.html
I only hope that during my time as an officer's wife I can help women pull together during the times when their husbands are gone.
Have a Blessed Day!
Biz
http://busybizblogs.blogspot.com/

 
At January 13, 2011 at 9:37 AM , Blogger Mrs. Werginz said...

Jenna and I cried at that too...like really cried! I vowed to Karl to buy lots of Tostitos because look at what a great company they are! I can't imagine what military families go through...

 
At January 13, 2011 at 9:48 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

What a great moment...I'm sorry I missed that one.
Stopping by from SITS.

 
At January 14, 2011 at 1:29 PM , Blogger Susanna said...

I'm glad you posted this, because we missed it, too! That's what we get for using the DVR. I'm sure I would have cried--those things always make me tear-up. It's nice to know that they paid such a nice tribute to and provided such a great reunion for some of our deployed military members. Thank you for carrying the tribute over into your blog!

 
At January 17, 2011 at 12:31 AM , Blogger Farah Jasmine said...

Those things make me cry so much. I can't imagine what it'd be like to have someone you love on the other side of the world and in danger. I would have bawled!

 

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment, helping make Articles From Addington an interactive forum for moms and bloggers. Thanks for taking the time to read my "articles"!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home