Thursday, June 23, 2011

One Stitch at a Time

My sister will tell you that I am someone that is interested in EVERYTHING!  Breadth. Not. Depth.

I guess the creative side of me is just entranced by all of the cool stuff out there, and I want to do it ALL.

Enter the latest hobby.  Sewing.

My Mother's Day gift was a class here:

Whipstitch Fabrics

As I journey through crafty blog-land, sewing is the one skill that pulls at my every crafty bone, and although I've tried to conquer it alone, success has eluded me.   

Enter Deborah, and the wonderful staff of a sewing boutique in Atlanta called Whipstich.  I entered tenatively, lugging my Brother through the front door.  The lovely girl casually says, you can set up in the back.  "Ok, thanks" I find myself eeking out (internally thinking I have NO IDEA how to set up!).  Surrounded by beautiful fabrics and listening to a woman choose yards in which to make her children's clothes, to say I was intimidated was an understatement.

Pish. Posh.  This class was awesome.  Within the first hour, I was laughing and learning, interacting with other women my age.  The mechanics of that scary machine were no longer scary, and by the end of the first night, I was sewing!


Each night we finished a useful project - napkins (click here for a free tutorial on these!), a picnic placement, an adorable tote bag, and these:


Awesome!  These piped pillows look adorable in our house, and made me feel like I could make ANYTHING.  Learning how to sew is such a liberating feeling, and I am already snipping and pressing my next project.  Stay tuned....

Oh, and if you are not in the Atlanta area, but want a fabulous introduction to sewing, check out Deborah's book, Stitch by Stitch: Learning to Sew, One Project at a Time.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At June 24, 2011 at 10:52 PM , Blogger Julia said...

I really want to learn how to sew better. I'm terrible with patterns and patience so my sewing machine and I are not on the best of terms. I love that pretty blue next to all those woods. Great look!

Also, I wanted to say thanks for stopping by Everyday Mom Ideas and leaving your lovely comment.

 
At June 27, 2011 at 10:04 AM , Anonymous Bumps in the Road said...

I found your blog on SITS this morning.

Those pillows are AWESOME! My mom has "mad skills" when it comes to the sewing machine but I got the "mad skills" when it comes to knitting :)

 
At July 22, 2011 at 12:05 AM , Blogger Sarah @ Fiddledeedee said...

Thank you for the napkin tutorial, and I LOVE your new pillows! Congrats on learning how to sew. It really does become so much more fun the more practice you have under your belt :)

Bookmarking your blog...
Sarah

 

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment, helping make Articles From Addington an interactive forum for moms and bloggers. Thanks for taking the time to read my "articles"!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home