Friday, July 23, 2010

Another Baby - Without being Pregnant!

Intrigued?  That title was the first thing that came to mind as I sat down to share the events of yesterday with you.  


Our natural alarm clock, Mr. Cheeks, went off at about 6:30 am.  I leapt out of bed, eagerly preparing a bottle for my son (more like stumbled down the stairs, trying desperately to mix the formula correctly).
 I make it back up stairs and feed Mr. Cheeks.


This photo courtesy of TV Land
I call nicely to my husband, "Time to get up..." in the most June Cleaver-like voice I can find at this hour.


Instead of some movement, and a muttered "Good Morning", I hear:
AAAAAHHHHHH.


Mr. Cheeks and I rush in to see what happened, and this was the response:


Hubby:  My FOOT!  My FOOT KILLS!  I think I broke it!  I'm dizzy - the pain, the pain!


Pause for utter confusion on my part.  I mean, I did just spend the night in the same bed as this man, and don't remember taking a sledgehammer to his foot....


Me:  Gosh, what happened?


Hubby:  I don't know - it just hurts!


Me:  You think you broke your foot, but you don't know what happened?!?


Hubby:  Okay, I dropped a full baby bottle right on my toes last night.  I thought I would ignore it, but now I can't walk.


Pause again... SERIOUSLY?  A Baby Bottle?  We don't even use the glass ones!!  I mean, the Dr. Brown's bottle do have 8-million parts, but are still light enough for Mr. Cheeks to feed himself!


Me:  Alright well, just lay there, and let me get you some ice, and try to get Mr. Cheeks to daycare, and then help you.


Sigh....


Long story short, I ended up sitting in the emergency room all morning with my husband, who was milking this injury for all it was worth.  I was in such disbelief, the only source of sanity I could find was the Twitter Community.  After an XRAY, and a doctor who I seriously think was doing all he could not to burst into laughter as he uttered the words "baby bottle", it was a "bone contusion".  Not sure what that is?  Me neither.  Somewhere between a bad sprain and a broken bone.


The rest of the day was spent with my newest baby on the couch, foot elevated, on meds, looking at me helplessly.  


The best part of the story is that as the day was winding down, and I was looking more and more frazzled, Hubby says:


I bet you CAN'T WAIT to blog about this one.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

At July 23, 2010 at 11:42 AM , Blogger Katie said...

After reading this blog post, hubby quickly sent me an email with a definition of bone contusion! Guess he wanted to make me very aware of the severity of his condition :-)

 
At July 23, 2010 at 12:21 PM , Blogger LakeMom said...

Aren't they the worst! At least you were able to keep your sense of humor!

 
At July 23, 2010 at 4:35 PM , Blogger Jess said...

I will give your husband this... I have dropped a full 8 oz Dr. Browns bottle on my foot before and it hurt... but it didn't warrant a trip to the doctor's. Lol!

I did break one of my toes by tripping over William's bouncy seat...

 
At July 23, 2010 at 4:56 PM , Blogger Marie Young (Marie Young Creative) said...

Too funny! My husband can really milk an illness too. When I'm sick or injured I just want left alone. Guess me aren't made that way. LOL.

BTW, I love your banner graphic.

 
At July 23, 2010 at 5:13 PM , Blogger Elizabeth Lyng said...

There is nothing worse than a sick husband - another patient AND one less pair of helping hands!

 
At July 24, 2010 at 12:28 AM , Blogger Mama Hen said...

Hey katie, thank you for your kind comment today! I got a good giggle again when seeing this post! Sorry to hubby for that, but it is rather funny! Have a great day!

Mama Hen

 
At July 24, 2010 at 11:14 AM , Blogger Sonia Valdez said...

Man - I was ready for a little one - I already have one of those big one's! You are so funny. I'm glad you at least had Twitter! Those ER visits can make one crazy you could bet time goes backwards in that place. Thank you for coming over and visiting my blog.

 
At July 24, 2010 at 1:42 PM , Blogger Melinda said...

Katie,
Men are such babies sometimes! My husband doesn't get sick (or injured) often, but when he does, boy, the world must stop! ;0) (I on the other hand am not allowed 'sick days'! Moms never are, are they?!)

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog yesterday and for your very kind words. I can tell you are a very honest, genuine blogger, too. I am following you now, as well, and am looking forward to getting to know you better! I met some awesome ladies through TMC yesterday!

 
At July 24, 2010 at 1:44 PM , Blogger Saretta said...

My husband is more the stoic type. He never complains, which is good, but he never wants to go to the doctor either, even when he should!

 
At July 24, 2010 at 2:27 PM , Blogger Heligirl said...

Oh that just cracks me up because I totally relate. My daughter woke up puking her brains out at 10 p.m. Christmas Eve (she was 15 months and I was three months pregnant). She was feeling a little better two days later after napping every two hours. Hubby however caught the stomach flu and didn't move from bed for two days. TWO DAYS. I had to care for both and be morning sick. No wonder we're so tough. Poor babies!

 
At July 24, 2010 at 2:51 PM , Anonymous Tani said...

Katie - Love the blog sister! Laughed out loud at this post ... probably knowing "hubby" makes it even funnier. :)

 
At July 24, 2010 at 3:58 PM , Blogger Katie said...

Glad everyone enjoyed a few giggles! We've been laughing about it around here, too, now that the foot is on the mend.

Sounds like I am in good company when it comes to my thoughts on a sick husband!

May all our men be HEALTHY and happy :-)

 
At July 24, 2010 at 7:46 PM , Anonymous Mrs.Mayhem said...

Too funny! At least, thanks to the email from your hubby, you now understand the severity of a bone contusion! Phew, glad he straightened THAT out!

My husband is the same way. He had a vasectomy and was in bed for a week. It was all I could do not to drag him out of bed... I did remind him several times about the fact that I had delivered FOUR of his children! Apparently that's nothing compared to a vasectomy.

 
At July 24, 2010 at 8:53 PM , Blogger Mama Hen said...

Thank you for your nice comment today! Have a great night!

Mama Hen

 
At July 25, 2010 at 2:13 AM , Blogger Tisha Matthews said...

Thanks for the comment on my post. By-the-way, I loved your post! I need a good laugh.. Thanks

Gotta luv umm. :-)

 
At July 25, 2010 at 3:58 PM , Blogger Elena said...

Hilarious! Husbands can be such big babies when it comes to pain, illness, etc.

 

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment, helping make Articles From Addington an interactive forum for moms and bloggers. Thanks for taking the time to read my "articles"!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home